SAE International’s annual Hybrid Vehicle Symposium continues to be one of SAE’s most popular technical meetings. The 2011 event drew a record 300 attendees to the Hilton in Anaheim, CA, in February. Proving the industry’s keen interest in vehicle electrification, this year’s symposium was extended to three days, with a day focused on EVs added to the two-day hybrid discussions.
For those who were not able to attend the Hybrid Vehicle Symposium, SAE Magazines produced a series of eight video interviews with industry thought leaders. The interviews cover a broad variety of topics, including systems engineering; advanced energy storage concepts; the expanded role of semiconductors in hybrid and EV controls; new approaches to high-performance electric motorcycles; and the role of government R&D as it relates to advanced vehicle propulsion technology development going forward.
The eight video interviews, conducted by SAE Magazines Senior Editor Lindsay Brooke, can be accessed initially via YouTube, at the links noted below:
• Joe Slenzak, head of Powertrain Electrification business development for Robert Bosch, discusses his company’s new Parallel P2 hybrid powertrain technologies used in the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne hybrids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wvjpdKoOI
• Ian Foley, Managing Director of Williams Hybrid Power Ltd., talks about his company’s flywheel energy storage systems as used on the new Porsche 918RSR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE4_rbV-yao
• Dusan Graovac, a Senior Manager with semiconductor supplier Infineon Technologies, discusses engineering new electrified-vehicle control systems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkGl66hAKtk
• Protean Electric’s Principal Development Engineer Tom Prucha talks about In-Wheel Motors for electrified vehicles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgBpEy-PQXA
• David Salguero of San Francisco-based Mission Motors, explains his company’s Electric Superbike and its powertrain technologies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTkf9qDU18
• Pete Savagian, General Motors’ Director of Hybrid Powertrain Engineering, details the 2012 E-Assist stop-start system’s development. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqTywZo76Q
• Bob Larsen, Argonne National Laboratories’ Director Emeritus, talks about the role of U.S. government support in automotive R&D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NzB-kaHQtM
• Scuderi Engines’ Director of Technology Development Chuck Forner, talks about his company’s split-cycle engine development status. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvSrNcCUddg
• Mark Bellinger, Vice President of semiconductor supplier Infineon Technologies, talks about the booming vehicle-electrification space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M6NxDiRcB8
For more on the latest developments in Vehicle Electrification, go to www.evsae.com.