Sustainability and growth—two words that are crucial for SAE International’s ongoing success.
These also are two words that define the society’s 10-year strategic roadmap, which builds the pathway to achieving SAE International’s Vision 2020. The roadmap establishes organizational goals designed to reinforce the value of SAE International membership. It also aims to expand SAE International’s information-based products; diversify product offerings across and throughout the mobility industry (including aerospace, automotive, and commercial vehicle); capitalize on emerging technologies; and deliver globally viable product offerings.
During 2010, SAE International’s Board of Directors and executive team developed the 10-year strategic roadmap and established the goals and the tactics to achieve Vision 2020. During this process, the Board of Directors reaffirmed the society’s mission statement and core strategies.
SAE International is a global body of scientists, engineers, and practitioners that advances self-propelled vehicle and system knowledge in a neutral forum for the benefit of society.
While the SAE International of 2011—and beyond—in some ways will look similar to how it looks today, it also will look very different. A disciplined approach will enable the organization to significantly invest in new programs, products, and services that better reflect the transforming needs and expectations of all constituencies.
Strengthening its global operations will further enhance SAE International’s ability to deliver a locally relevant portfolio in an affordable manner. And, a more dynamic operating structure will permit SAE International to better respond to a diverse and changing marketplace.
The strategic roadmap uses a multiyear approach, with near-, mid-, and long-term goals and objectives. Of course, along the way, metrics and measures will show how well SAE International is doing with regard to achieving the stated goals.
Some of the goals and highlights include:
• Expanding and enhancing the tiered-membership program, EngineerXchange, and introducing a new Member Rewards Program
• Offering the world’s largest and most comprehensive English-language, full-text, online database of mobility engineering information
• Ensuring the global relevance and availability of SAE International technical standards and developing new conformance programs in the areas of industry interest and support
• Providing the highest-quality and most timely meetings and conferences in a variety of formats (e.g. face-to-face, virtual), showcasing the latest intellectual property and technology trends
• Developing new professional development content and programs on critical technologies, both domestically and globally
• Identifying emerging sectors to be served by SAE International and developing programs, products, and services to serve them.
These are just a few of the goals outlined in the strategic roadmap. It is an ambitious plan, but it is a plan that is crucial for the continued success of SAE International as we serve the mobility engineering industry.
An old Chinese proverb states, “It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.” That’s sound advice…for business and beyond. The 10-year strategic roadmap outlines the steps needed for this organization to better serve its members and our industry and academic institutional partners and, most importantly, advance knowledge and information for mobility engineering professionals.
Periodically throughout the coming year, this column will focus on some of the strategic objectives outlined in the plan, showing how each helps to make Vision 2020 a reality.
David L. Schutt, SAE Chief Executive Officer