New EIA data shows why gasoline is the U.S. benchmark motor fuel

  • 15-Feb-2013 02:55 EST
Energy Information Agency.jpg

The data points represent the energy content per unit volume or weight of the fuels themselves, not including the storage tanks or other equipment that the fuels require. For example, compressed-gaseous fuels require heavy storage tanks, while cooled fuels require equipment to maintain low temperature.

On an equivalent energy basis, motor gasoline (which contains up to 10% ethanol) was estimated to account for 99% of U.S. light-duty vehicle fuel consumption in 2012, according to new information released on the U.S. Energy Information Administration website. Over half of the remaining 1% was from diesel; all other fuels combined for less than half of 1%, according to the EIA. The widespread use of these fuels is largely explained by their energy density and ease of onboard storage, as no other fuels provide more energy within a given unit of volume. Compared to gasoline and diesel, other options may have more energy per unit weight, but none have more energy per unit volume.

Share
HTML for Linking to Page
Page URL
Grade
Rate It
3.80 Avg. Rating

Read More Articles On

2017-03-05
A new version of the LG Chem Z.E. 40 battery delivers nearly double the energy density of its predecessor.
2017-01-07
Schaffler Group engineers stepped 'out of the box' to develop a new type of e-vehicle aimed at transporting people and goods within the crowded cities of the future
2017-01-22
Ford's plan to test its new Transit Custom plug-in hybrid (PHEV) vans in London is part of a project designed to help improve city air quality.
2017-01-30
After three years of co-developing a new-generation fuel cell stack aimed at light vehicles, military, aerospace and other applications, Honda and GM have announced the establishment of Fuel Cell System Manufacturing LLC—the industry’s first joint venture for fuel-cell production.

Related Items

Training / Education
2010-03-15
Article
2017-01-09
Training / Education
2010-03-15